Last updated on May 8, 2015
Checkout 51 Inc.
366 Adelaide Street East, Unit 501
Toronto, ON, M5A 3X9, Canada
What personal data does Checkout 51 collect?
Personal information we receive from you:
- Personal Data you provide. We collect Personal Data from you when you voluntarily provide such information such as when you register for the Services (for example, name, gender, location and email address), use certain Services, upload receipts, or connect your Checkout 51 account to online third party services such as Facebook, Twitter or other social networks. The information we receive from them is dependent upon your privacy settings with the social network. You should always review, and if necessary, adjust your privacy settings on third-party websites and services before linking or connecting them to our Services.
- Receipt Data. When you upload receipts to Checkout 51, we collect information contained on the receipts such as the name and location of the store, information about the products and brands you purchased, your rewards card information (if applicable), coupons used, the total amount you spend, the prices you paid, and the date of your purchases (collectively, "Receipt Data").
- Mobile data. When you use our applications on your mobile device, the default settings allows for the collection of Personal Data such as the unique identification number associated with your device (device ID), mobile carrier, device type and manufacturer, phone number, and, depending on your mobile device settings, your geographical location data, including GPS coordinates (e.g. latitude and/or longitude) or similar information regarding the location of your mobile device (collectively, "Mobile Data"). This allows us to provide you with offers from local merchants when you are in the vicinity of their location. You can turn this feature off by adjusting your phone settings.
- Cookies and other tracking data. By default, the Checkout 51 website collects information using cookies, log file data, and clear gifs (also known as web beacons) (collectively, "Cookie Data") to track usage information, to remember you on our Service, and to provide additional functionality. We automatically collect certain types of usage information when you use our Service. When you visit our Service, we may send one or more cookies — a small text file containing a string of alphanumeric characters — to your computer that uniquely identifies your browser and lets us help you log in faster and enhance your navigation through the site. A cookie may also convey information to us about how you use the Service (e.g., the pages you view, the links you click, and how frequently you access the Service), and allows us to track your usage of the Service. We may collect log file information from your browser or mobile device each time you access the Service. Log file information may include, but is not limited to, information such as your web request, Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser type, information about your mobile device, referring / exit pages and URLs, number of clicks and how you interact with links on the Service, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed, and other such information. We may employ clear gifs (also known as web beacons) which are used to anonymously track the online usage patterns of our users. In addition, we may also use clear gifs in HTML-based emails sent to our users to track which emails are opened and which links are clicked by recipients. The information allows for more accurate reporting and improvement of the Service. We may also collect analytics data, or use third-party analytics tools, to help us measure traffic and usage trends for the Service. These tools collect information sent by your browser or mobile device, including the pages you visit, your actions on our websites or mobile applications, and other information that assists us in analyzing and improving the Service.
How does Checkout 51 use my Personal Data?
Checkout 51 primarily uses your Personal Data for the following purposes:
- to identify you, and establish and maintain our business relationship with you;
- to provide you with ongoing service, including when you choose to submit questions, comments or suggestions;
- to improve our products and services;
- to prevent errors and fraud;
- to comply with our legal obligations.
For example, when you request payment and provide your address, we use this information to send you a payment. When you provide your name and email address when you log in, we use this information to identify your account so you can use the Services. We may also use your Personal Data to help us improve Checkout 51 and to contact you regarding the Services. We may use your email address to email you about products and services that our clients or partners offer. See "Your Choices Regarding Your Information" below to learn how to opt-out of any further messages of this nature from us.
We may also use your Personal Data in aggregate form as described under "How Does Checkout 51 use Aggregate Data." When we do this the data is anonymized so that you cannot be personally identified.
How does Checkout 51 use my Receipt Data?
Checkout 51 uses your Receipt Data to enable our Services, to verify the cash back credits you should earn, for fraud prevention, to analyze usage and trends in shopping behavior, and in aggregate form. We will also use your Receipt Data to provide you with customized offers and messages, such as when our clients or partners want us to deliver their offers to our members who fit a particular shopping profile; however, these clients never receive your name, mailing address or email address. We may also share your Receipt Data with our clients or partners under certain circumstances (please see "How Does Checkout 51 share my Personal Data," below).
How does Checkout 51 use aggregate data?
In order to provide the best service to you, Checkout 51 measures and analyzes the demographics, interests and behavior of our members based on the Personal Data and Receipt Data provided to us. Sometimes we may provide aggregate information to our clients or partners about how our members, collectively, shop for products and use the Services. Checkout 51 may also share aggregated user statistics in order to describe the Services to current and prospective business partners and clients, and to other third parties. This aggregated data does not identify you individually.
How does Checkout 51 share my Personal data?
- Business transactions - As we operate Checkout 51, we may buy or sell business assets or the company, merge with other companies, reorganize or dissolve. Personal Data may be part of the transferred assets during any of these events.
- Agents and Service Providers - Like many businesses, Checkout 51 shares personal information with agents, third party suppliers and other service providers who perform work on our behalf. For example, we might work with a check sending company, payment processing company or a company who sends online or email advertisements. In the course of these relationships, we sometimes need to share your Personal Data and other information with these companies so they can perform their specific services. However, in such cases, your personal information will be used exclusively to provide specific services and will be kept confidential in accordance with this Policy.
- Anonymized Aggregated Data - As described above, we aggregate and anonymize data, and use and disclose such information for a variety of purposes. However, in these situations, we do not disclose any information that could be used to identify you personally.
- Receipt Data and Other Anonymized Data - We may share with clients or partners Receipt Data and other non-personally identifiable information, including Mobile Data and Cookie Data.
- Database matching - From time to time, using encryption technology, we also may compare our member database with our clients' or partners' databases to discover overlap between their database and our registered members. This process does not by itself communicate your Personal Data to a third party. However, when we find overlap – i.e. that our members are also in their database (a matched member) - we may share with those clients or partners Receipt Data and other non-personally identifiable information, including Mobile Data and Cookie Data relating to those matched members. We do not provide clients or partners with your name, address, email address, or any other contact information, but our clients or partners may already have this information about you in their databases. Our clients or partners may use this data we share as permitted under their own privacy policies, including to contact you and/or to send you targeted advertising or promotional materials. We urge you to review the privacy policies of every company you register your personal information with. If you do not want your this data shared with our clients or partners for these purposes, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
YOUR CHOICES REGARDING YOUR INFORMATION
Consent. Your consent can be withdrawn at any time, subject to legal and contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. Please note that if you choose to withdraw your consent, Checkout 51 may not be able to provide you with certain Services.
Some mobile application platforms may also allow you to opt out of installing certain features of the Checkout 51 mobile application which may allow for the automatic collection of Mobile Data, as described above. You do not have to use any of the Checkout 51 mobile application features unless you choose to, however, opting out of any or all features may affect the application’s ability to operate properly.
Marketing Communications. If you do not wish to receive promotional emails, you can click the "unsubscribe" button on promotional email communications. Note that you are not permitted to unsubscribe or opt-out of non-promotional messages regarding your account, such as account verification, payment confirmations, change or updates to features of the websites or mobile applications, or technical and security notices.
Online Advertising. We may permit third party online advertising networks to collect information about your use of our website over time so that they may play or display ads that may be relevant to your interests on our websites or mobile applications as well as on other websites or mobile applications. Typically, the information we share is provided through cookies or similar tracking technologies. The only way to completely "opt out" of the collection of any information through cookies or other tracking technology is to actively manage the settings on your browser or mobile device. Please refer to your browser's or mobile device's technical information for instructions on how to delete and disable cookies, and other tracking/recording tools. (To learn more about cookies, clear gifs/web beacons and related technologies, you may wish to visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org and/or the Network Advertising Initiative's online resources, at http://www.networkadvertising.org). Depending on your mobile device, you may not be able to control tracking technologies through settings.
Data Retention: We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you with the Services you requested. Following termination or deactivation of your account, we may retain information for the time required to fulfill the identified purposes and consistent purposes, our legitimate business purposes and to conform to our legislative requirements. We may retain your information in aggregate or anonymized form indefinitely. Please submit a support request if you wish to delete your account.
Is my Personal Data secure?
What if Checkout 51 needs to update this policy?
We reserve the right to modify this Policy from time to time. If we make any changes to this Policy, we will change the "Last Revision" date below and will post the updated Policy on this page.
How do I access and update my Personal Data?
Checkout 51 recognizes that it is important to keep Personal Data accurate, complete and up-to-date and takes reasonable steps to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the Personal Data it uses and discloses. However, you are responsible to inform Checkout 51 of any significant change in your information which may occur during the course of our business relationship.If you feel that you need to update your Personal Data for any reason, please submit a support request. Once we receive your request we will take reasonable steps to update any Personal Data that you have submitted via our Services.
You have the right to request to consult and to obtain communication of your Personal Data which is held by Checkout 51. You can also request that information which is inaccurate, incomplete or equivocal be rectified and that information not justified by the purpose of the file be deleted.
Such requests must be made in writing by a support request. Checkout 51 will respond to every request for access and rectification in accordance with the applicable legislation. In the event that Checkout 51 cannot provide access to or rectify your Personal Data, it will inform you of the reasons why, subject to any legal or regulatory restrictions, and it will provide you with any recourse available.