Apply Via Jobvite
Checkout 51 is one of the top mobile shopping applications in Canada and the US. With millions of members using our iOS and Android apps, we’re growing our team so we can find even better ways to help them save money on their everyday items! Are you interested in joining a multi-talented team working to make shopping more rewarding for everyone?
As a Senior Android Developer, you will be our Android Lead—fully responsible for building and improving our native Android app. This includes working closely with our product and UX teams to design and develop new features and manage releases, while owning technical improvements to the app.
We’re a small team of high-performing individuals who have a track record of building products our members love. We measure our performance by outcomes and are committed to getting things done while being ‘the good kind’ of busy. We’re honest with ourselves—we have technical debt to pay down and need a better test automation strategy on our mobile platform—we’re confident you can help get us there.
- Implement new features and functionality in Kotlin and Java
- Work collaboratively on a cross-functional Scrum team with backend developers, designers, product managers, and QA
- Lead technical design discussions and help drive decision making
- Uphold standards for quality by performing code reviews, fixing bugs, creating automated tests, and monitoring performance
- Support, coach and mentor junior developers or contractors
What we're looking for:
- You have built and worked on several Android apps before, and can speak to your successes and failures
- You can write high-quality, testable code, and understand how to find a balance between short-term needs and long-term runway
- You understand the fundamentals of mobile technology, keep up to date on new Android APK releases and have a point-of-view on which tools and frameworks we should consider
- You are a strong communicator, and can explain complex technical concepts to a diverse group of stakeholders with appropriate levels of technical depth
- You take ownership of what you work on. You are ready to explain your work to your colleagues and support it in production
- Proficient in Java and Kotlin
- Familiar with architecture patterns such as MVVM and MVP, and Google Jetpack architecture components
- Knowledge of how to deploy, monitor and manage releases in the Google Play Store
- Source control (Git) is second nature to you, including branching strategies
Nice to have:
- Familiar with TDD in a mobile environment
- Familiar with Google's Android Architecture guide
- Experience with Firebase and its SDKs (Analytics, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics)
- Experience with modern mobile SDKs and libraries (e.g Firebase, Retrofit, OkHttp, Robolectric, Dependency Injection - Dagger, Google Support Libraries, ButterKnife)
- Experience with Kotlin language features and libraries (extensions, coroutines, coroutine testing, ktor, multiplatform)
- Defined API specifications with backend teams (preferably using Open API)
- Experience with various automated testing approaches for mobile
- Familiar with AWS, and with CI/CD pipelines
Apply Via Jobvite
We're always looking for new talent!
See available positions