Director of Engineering
The Director of Engineering for Checkout 51 is accountable for the development of a reliable, scalable and secure product that meets the growing demands of our business. You will draw upon your experience both as a people manager and an engineer to ensure the consistent delivery of software while maintaining a healthy and positive work environment. We will be counting on you lead the enhancement and evolution of the Checkout 51 mobile apps and systems, while also ensuring the career growth of the software engineers under your supervision. While this role focuses more heavily on people and process, hands-on technical experience with Linux and AWS will be a major asset for this position.
You'll be responsible for:
- Hire and retain a team of engineers with the necessary breadth and depth of technical skill set required to run an internet-scale production system
- Manage the growth of your team, onboarding new hires and overseeing recruitment for your team
- Establish professional development plans for your direct reports
- Conduct annual performance reviews and recommend compensation adjustments
- Create and maintain resourcing plans to deliver on the product roadmap
- Manage temporary staff (Agencies / Contractors) as and when the need arises
- Maintain a positive and collaborative work environment by upholding Checkout 51's cultural values.
- Maintain and manage the technology roadmap for your team(s).
- Provide guidance to the development teams under your supervision, ensuring that they align with the needs of the product and our overall technology strategy.
- Collaborate with your peers and leadership in the engineering organization (Architects, Directors, VPs, CTO) to standardize technology choices across development teams.
- Ensure the correct prioritization of maintenance activities, including operational maintenance, technical debt remediation and security enhancements.
- Participate in the resolution of production incidents in either a hands on or oversight capacity.
- Collaborate with scrum masters to ensure that development teams are performing consistently and are not blocked or bottlenecked.
- Guide the team in their efforts to continuously optimize their internal processes for delivering software.
- Collaborate with other functional groups (Product, QA, DevOps) to ensure that we are consistently delivering a high quality product.
What we're looking for:
- 5+ years developing custom web and mobile applications, preferably for large user bases (1MM+ end users)
- 3+ years managing teams sizes of around 10 developers
- 2+ years with hands-on development experience with LAMP stack and Amazon Web Services
- Demonstrated experience managing the entire SDLC in an agile environment
- Knowledge of Agile software development practices including CI/CD, Test Automation, TDD
- Exceptional collaboration, listening, written and verbal communication skills
- Self-starter with high motivation and passion who thrives in an ever-changing, fast-paced environment with the ability to adapt to change
- The ability to explain complex technical concepts to a wide variety of audiences from developers to senior management
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent work experience
We're always looking for new talent!
See available positions