Senior Software Engineer, Backend (Freedom)
The Freedom Network is a platform for distributing digital offers to millions of shoppers, wherever they may be. With Freedom’s reach and engagement, shoppers have saved well over $10M on groceries and staple items through our offer distribution.
We’re looking for a Sr. Backend Developer to help us build user-facing tools for our Freedom B2B platform. In this position, you will play a senior role on a small Scrum team to ensure continuous delivery of high value and high-quality work.
Our Freedom team is wholly responsible for the product and technology stack end-to-end. Our software runs on AWS and, like Slack and Facebook, our backend services are built with PHP (together with the Phalcon Framework, MySQL, and AWS Lambda). We also have a web frontend built with React, Redux, and GraphQL. As a side note, don’t fret if your PHP language skills aren’t up to snuff, we’ll prioritize candidates who have a deep understanding of software architecture and modern development practices.
Success in this role will hinge on teamwork and collaboration—you will work with Product Managers, Designers and Internal Users to design features for the platform while working with Freedom’s Director of Engineering to evolve its backend architecture.
- Enthusiastically implement new features and core services in our platform
- Work collaboratively on a cross-functional Scrum Team
- Lead technical design discussions and help drive decision making
- Uphold high standards for quality by performing code reviews, fixing bugs, creating automated tests and monitoring performance
- Support, coach and mentor Junior Developers or contractor team members
- Take shifts on our ‘dev-on-call’ rotation
What we're looking for:
- Experience working in a startup environment
- Experience building scalable, fault-tolerant web services
- Working knowledge of PHP, MySQL and AWS
- Knowledge of writing high-quality, testable code, while balancing between short term needs and long term runway
- Understanding of web technology fundamentals, while having a critical lens on existing API design
- You are a strong communicator and can explain complex technical concepts to a diverse group of stakeholders with varying technical depth
- When things break, you are eager to roll up your sleeves to work on a fix
To be successful you will need:
- Experience with public cloud platforms and cloud-native architecture
- Knowledge of RDBMS and other storage technologies (caches, object storage, etc.)
- Knowledge of an MVC framework
We're always looking for new talent!
See available positions